Be sure to clear the energy before and after major celebrations in your home – this is good feng shui!
Excerpt from “The Healing Power of Smudging: Cleansing Rituals to Purify Your Home, Attract Positive Energy and Bring Peace into Your Life“
If you like to hold frequent parties and celebrations in your home, it might be very helpful to smudge the energy before—and especially after—the party. It is important for our homes to hold strong energy that is individual to our own well-being. This energy develops in time by creating thousands of energetic connections between you and the home. The stronger these connections, the more supported you feel in your home.
When a home experiences frequent parties, especially big parties with various people, the myriad of subtle energetic connections you have with your home can weaken. In order to strengthen your home’s ability to hold nourishing energy for you and your family, it is best to clear the vibrations of many people that have visited your home.
Here are two rituals that will help you take charge of the energy created before and after a big party in your home.
Smudging ritual before a major party in your home
The intent for this ritual is to create a happy and joyful energetic container for a really successful party. You are smudging to let go of any residues that might prevent a festive mood and to establish very clear boundaries. For example, you can intend to create very active energy in the spaces where the party will be held and at the same time be very clear that you do not want this energy to leak into your bedroom or your children’s bedroom.
Time it takes: 5 to 10 minutes
Best time of the day: Between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
Best time period: The day of the party
1. Set your smudging supplies on your altar. Light the candle. Take a deep breath and clearly formulate your intent. Hold the tip of the smudge stick over the candle. Once ignited, wait a few seconds and then extinguish the flame at the tip of your smudge stick so that it smolders.
2. Start smudging at your front door. Intend for any slow energy to leave and be replaced by energizing and vibrant energy for your celebration. You can visualize it as sparkling golden energy adorning the walls with joy.
3. Encircle with your smudging the whole area where people will be spending time. This will create an energetic cocoon that does not leak energy to the private spaces in your home. For example, from the front door you might continue to the living room, then the kitchen, the patio, the dining room, or any other area where guests will be spending time.
4. Come back to the front door to complete the energetic circle. Smudge your front door.
5. Return to your altar and extinguish the smudge stick.
6. Visualize a bright sun in your heart outpouring strong rays of light that reinforce and brighten the energetic “party adornment” you placed on your walls in Step 2. You can even intend for them to be active for a specific amount of time, let us say 5 hours. Say a short prayer welcoming your guests to your happy home with an open heart and be sure to enjoy your party!